The much-awaited elementary OS 5.0 Juno has finally landed. It took close to a year to develop the most significant increment of the elementary OS. For those new to elementary OS, this Linux distro is based on Ubuntu and uses its Pantheon desktop environment.
At first glance, you will see a high resemblance to Mac OS. The desktop is polished with a heavy focus on fine appearance details and an intuitive user interface. The new version has more than half of the updates targetted on appearance and usability.
Juno brings in the exhausting list of new features. Here is the best new features list for a glance.
Best New Features in elementary OS 5.0 Juno
- AppCenter comes with open source apps with a Pay-What-You-Want approach.
- The code has the new Git integration, new dark mode, and several refinements.
- The music app is more stable, light on system resources due to code cleanup.
- Photos App has a new dark theme to let you focus on your pictures more.
- Camera App is clearer and easier to use.
- Night light mode added.
- The all-new Picture-in-Picture mode makes it easier to keep tabs on a video or other window while working on something else.
- The new search icon is added to the Applications Menu.
- Juno now supports rich, full-color emoji throughout the OS.
- Settings App gets tons of refinements with more focus on usability.
- A brand new “Housekeeping” feature is added in Juno to help keep your temporary and trashed files tidied up.
For more detailed info on each of these items, refer to our comprehensive article on New features in Juno.
Upgrading from Loki?
As of now, there is no way to upgrade elementary OS 0.4 Loki to Juno. The changes to extensive changes to several system components and, therefore, the only way to get Juno up and running is to clean install it.
Getting elementary OS 5.0 Juno
When you visit the official website to download the latest ISO build, it may look surprised that you need to pay for it. Don’t worry; it’s 100% free. You can choose to make a donation or enter 0 to be able to get the download link.