Many Linux users find it challenging to choose the best network adapter compatible with their devices. The difficulty in selection is due to driver and software compatibility issues. Some of the adapters require drivers, while others do not. This complicates the selection process since users do not know which network adapter best suits them.
Thousands of ‘fake’ network adapters have dominated the market. Therefore, finding a legit adapter becomes more complicated. If you are looking for a Linux-compatible network adapter, let us help you suggest the 10 best Linux-compatible network adapters.
Linux-compatible network adapters
1. Panda 300 Mbps USB Network Adapter
Panda 300, a Linux-compatible network Adapter, provides a maximum connection speed of up to 300Mbps. It works in harmony with all 2.4 GHz wireless routers. Panda 300 is compatible with most Linux distros; hence users should not be worried about compatibility issues. With the experience we have had with panda 300, we feel comfortable recommending it to our readers and followers.
Panda 300 wireless network adapter does not require driver installation. However, this is an exception with Debian users since they must install “non-free” software to make the device compatible with their operating system.
Panda 300 features
- The wireless adapter is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux operating systems.
- It allows file and network sharing between different connected devices.
- It is portable and efficient due to its small size.
2. BrosTrend 1200Mbps Adapter
BrosTrend is a super-fast network adapter with an advanced connection speed of up to 867 Mbps. The adapter is a solution provider for extended range coverage and connections. The BrosTrend adapter is primarily known to offer an extended range of network connectivity. This is a unique and reliable feature that most long-range coverage users love. The minimum connection speed of the BrosTrend adapter is 300Mbps, while its maximum speed is 867Mbps, as already noted.
BrosTrend has two antennas that enable users to get a flexible and stable internet connection despite the router’s position or the adapter. It is compatible with Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Raspbian, and Kali Linux. The device provides fast connection speeds when connected to USB 3.0 ports. However, the connection speed will be much lower when the device is connected to USB 2.0 ports. Connect using a USB 3.0 port to get the best speed out of this device.
- It has a flexible antenna that rotates 360 degrees, thus providing wide coverage.
- BrosTrend can be placed far away from the connection source due to its long USB cord.
- It best suits users running Linux distros with kernel version 5.3 or lower because it supports security testing.
- It has a dual antenna that offers a superb extended connectivity range.
3. Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band Adapter
This is another adapter manufactured by the panda store. This model is different from the Panda 300 since it contains dual high gain 5dBi antennas that guarantee the long coverage and stability of wireless connections. Most wireless adapters are 2.4GHz band routers which become an inconvenience when living in a Wi-Fi congested zone. In such a case, you will need to look for a 5GHz adapter. This model will best suit you.
Panda Wireless PAI09 N600 is compatible with almost all PCs that have USB ports. Besides, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. The important thing about this adapter is its properly spaced dual antennas. They are vital as they filter out all weak signals and capture only the important signals. All standard security features such as WEP, WPA2 WPA TKIP +AES are supported by this model.
For Vulnerability testing, the device automatically switches to a monitoring mode that performs security checks. The adapter is similar to the Panda 300 adapter since one has to install “non-free” software to use this network adapter with a Debian operating system.
Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Features
- The adapter offers stable and easily accessible connections via its dual antennas.
- The device works at high speed and can transfer data at speeds of up to 876 Mbps.
- It has a monitoring mode that enables security and penetration testing.
4. TP-Link USB N150 Adapter
The TP-link has wide Wi-Fi coverage despite being a low-speed adapter. Its maximum connection speed is 150 Mbps, and it supports only the 2.4 GHz band. The adapter is widely known for supporting wireless fidelity (Wi-Fi). All Linux distros with kernel version 2.6 and above can use the TP-Link USB N150 network adapter.
This network adapter is compatible with old Linux distros; however, it can be tweaked to work with newer Linux distros. This can be made possible by installing lwfinger, a third–party software driver that supports the rtl8188eu chipset. You can try this network adapter now since it is affordable and readily available.
- The device transfers data up to a maximum of 150 Mbps because of the 2.4 GHz network band it has.
- It is small, making it portable when shifting from one place to another.
5. OSGEAR USB Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Adapter
Osgear is a network adapter that allows the user to connect to the internet using Bluetooth. The adapters, maximum speed is 150 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. Osgear is ideal for online gamers and those who love streaming HD quality videos because of the network strength. Like other network adapters, osgear supports Linux distros, Windows, and macOS Operating systems.
Osgear USB Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Adapter Features
- The device’s maximum data transfer speed is 150 Mbps.
- It has an incredible bandwidth, thus covering a large area.
- It runs on most devices with a 2.4GHz frequency.
- It is compatible with many operating systems
- It is Bluetooth enabled
- It has a WPS button for security encryption
6. Alfa AWUSO36ACH
Alfa AWUSO36AC is a fast network adapter that comes with two antennas to boost stability and coverage connection. This adapter uses the RTL8812AU chipset, which, surprisingly, Kali Linux released its drivers. Therefore, you cannot question its compatibility with Linux distros. Are you willing to update and use the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi protocols on your Linux system? Then this should be your ultimate choice.
The Alfa AWUSO36ACH best suits download and upload fans. Its download speed is 213Mbps, whereas the upload speed is 21Mbps. These speeds should be enticing to anyone planning to purchase this network adapter.
Alfa AWUSO36ACH Features
- It is widely used in pen testing since it contains a powerful chipset.
- The device is compatible with most Linux operating systems
- It has detachable antennas that a user can switch for larger ones making stability and coverage awesome.
- The device comes with a cable, Clips, Driver CD, and two antennas.
TL-WN722N network adapter has a connection speed of up to 150Mbps. This offers the users smooth streaming and surfing. If you are used to making online calls and meetings, then this adapter suits you. It has an ultimate coverage range that provides stability and stable connectivity. It supports a frequency range of 2.4 – 2.485 GHz band.
Its compatibility is outstanding as it works well with Linux OS, all windows versions, and macOS. Additionally, TL-WN722N is secure because it contains the WPS button that encrypts your connection, ensuring maximum privacy when using the adapter. It also has a detachable antenna that can rotate 360 degrees, thus improving stability and long-range coverage.
- Super improved range connectivity through the external antenna.
- Compatible with most Operating systems.
- It offers secure connections of up to 150 Mbps.
8. TP-LINK Archer T4U
This network adapter uses a Realtek RTL8812AU chipset that enhances stable connectivity. It has a high-frequency modulation speed of up to 5GHz. For compatibility, this network adapter requires driver installation. TP-LINK Archer T4U has a large external antenna that boosts its wide-range network coverage. Regrettably, no WIFI 6 802.11ax adapters yet, despite the new protocol (802.11ax) being introduced.
This network adapter provides a setback for users who stay in Wi-Fi congested areas. The adapter’s signal may collide, thus reducing its connection speed. However, in an area with less Wi-Fi congestion, this adapter is fully functional and can accommodate connection speeds of up to 150-300Mbps.
TP-LINK ArcherT4U Features
- It is compatible with Linux operating systems
- Its download data speeds are around 5Gbps with an improved speed of about 1.3 Gbps
- It is a fast connection adapter, thus the improved speeds.
- It has pen testing, which is one of the benefits of security protection for Linux users.
9. Cudy WU1300S AC
Cudy is a super-fast network adapter with connection speeds of up to around 867Mbps. It also supports the 2.4Ghz to 5GHz band. It offers long-range connectivity. Cudy WU1300S AC provides a lag-free connection plus upgrades on your computer’s connection speed. Unlike other devices that use USB ports 2.0, this device uses USB 3.0, which improves its speed.
Generally, port 3.0 is quicker than 2.0 since the highest speed offered by port 2.0 is around 480Mbps, whereas port 3.0 offers up to 867Mbps. Another great advantage linked to this device is convenience and portability. The network adapter is compatible with several operating systems such as Vista, Windows versions, Linux, and Mac OS.
- The adapter offers fast speed connection.
- Portable since you can plug it in a USB port on your computer and carry it along with your computer. This also helps prevent misplacing the network adapter.
- It is compatible with a wide range of OSes.
10. TechRise Network Adapter
This is a super-fast adapter that can accommodate high speeds of up to 5Gps. The device speeds are enhanced when connected to USB port 3.0. This adapter contains a male-to-female RJ45 Ethernet connection adapter that is not compatible with the Nintendo series switch.
Nonetheless, the device does not require any external power because it is powered directly by the Pc, saving energy. Additionally, this adapter supports crossover detection and auto-correction. TechRise is compatible with several operating systems such as macOS, Windows, and Linux distros.
- The adapter provides super-fast speeds
- It supports USB 3.0 connections
- It saves power; thus, the user does not need any power backup
- It is compatible with several Operating systems.
This article has covered the best 10 Linux-compatible USB adapters. This does not mean that we have exhausted all the Linux- compatible adapters since thousands of other network adapters are in the market. The mentioned adapters are the best that we recommend our readers to use. You can reach us via the comments section if you have any network adapter suggestions from the ones mentioned in this article.